Happens every time I pass by the falafel cart outside the movie theatre: the most exotically fragrant smell of cumin, turmeric, cardamon, and red pepper hangs in the air; and I'm determined to rush home to cook up a curry with everything and anything that happens to be in the fridge.
That's exactly what I did yesterday; and I did it with just 5 ingredients, in 7 minutes-max from start to finish.
1. Cranked up the heat under a cast iron skillet.
2. Heated olive oil and some sweet red onion, chopped, with a sprinkling of curry powder till the onion began to wilt and the seasoning came alive, fully infusing the oil.
3. Then stirred in some chickpeas (pre-cooked).
4. Next a portion of sweet green peas straight from the freezer.
5. Continued cooking about a minute or so longer till the peas were bright green and the chickpeas were heated through.
6. Spooned the curry into my favorite bowl and indulged my senses!
I don't know what it is about these spices…. But I know they're full of antioxidants and health-imbuing properties. And it all comes together so quickly.